Swahili Biryani Rice
This dish is common among the Swahili community in Kenya. The cuisine is also meat based and special
emphasis is given to finding the right kinds of rice, spices, meat and herbs. It is simply steamed rice eaten
with Biryani stew. It is particularly made using the fragrant species of rice. This colourful dish can be served
for lunch, dinner or during wedding occasions.
- 5 3/4 cups (1 kg) raw white rice
- 8 2/3 (1874 g) water
- 1 g food colour powder, egg yellow
- 2 tsp. (10 g) salt, iodized
- 7 tbsp. (85 g) cooking oil
Preparation 5 minutes | Cooking 25 minutes |
- Take out 2 tablespoons of water and put the rest of the water into a cooking pot, add salt and bring to boil.
- Wash the rice and add into the boiling water. Cover
to cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the food colour in the 2 tablespoons
- Add oil and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the food colour and simmer for 13 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with biryani stew.
Share This Page
We are partnering with the 47 counties in Kenya to bring you official , authentic & important news about your county. Subscribe to get notifications by email.